Tetrazzini is an American casserole dish named for the famous Italian opera singer Luisa Tetrazzini. The dish allegedly originated in San Francisco, California and it is the turkey version that is named for Luisa Tetrazzini. Chicken Tetrazzini is a variation of this turkey casserole; instead it is made with boneless, skinless cubes of chicken.
- 1 pot
- 1 frying pan
- 1 casserole dish
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 spatula
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 2 tsps. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsps. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 cup of half and half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Half the pot with water, add 1 tsp. of salt and bring it to a boil. When it comes to a boil add the spaghetti. Do not break them.
- Remove chicken from the pack, wash once with vinegar and once with water, then cut the strips into cubes.
- Place the frying pan a burner set to low heat. Season the chicken with Italian seasoning, black pepper and salt.
- Clean and slice your mushrooms.
- When the frying pan is heated, place the olive oil and butter into the pan and add the chicken when the butter has melted.
- When the chicken is cooked (do not allow it to dry out) remove it from the pan and use the same oil to saute the mushrooms.
- To your sauted mushrooms add the flour gradually, all the time stirring with your spatula.
- After you have added all the flour, add the chicken slowly and stir.
- Add the cream and then proceed to add your sherry. Stir until you have a creamy mixture then add your chicken and remove the pan from the heat.
- Preheat your oven to 350?F.
- Butter your casserole dish.
- By now the spaghetti should be cooked. Drain the water and pour your spaghetti into your casserole dish. Sprinkle the top of the spaghetti with the parmesan cheese and place into the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until all the cheese has melted and has bubbles.
- Many variations may be made to this dish for a healthier outcome. You may use only olive oil instead of butter or you may lessen the amount of olive oil and butter used in the dish. You may also use less cheese if preferred.
- The trick to making your chicken tetrazzini taste fresh is to use fresh ingredients that are also freshly cooked. If you cook the spaghetti or chicken long before you plan to eat, the deliciousness of the meal will be lost on you. You may also saute the mushrooms with green peppers, white onions and garlic for a more Italian style dish even though the origin is American.
- Pair the chicken tetrazzini with homemade garlic bread. You can do this with Italian breads and freshly made garlic butter.