Sore throat is a painful swelling in the back of the throat. It is generally associated with a cough, cold, infection, or swollen tonsils. The irritation in the throat may be docile or could lead to serious problems. Sore throat may be caused by other things such as loud talking and singing, which abuses the throat, too much smoking, leukemia or bacterial infection. Food allergies as well as dry air at nights may also result in sore throat. Breathing through the mouth can also cause a person to get a sore throat.
Good sources of home remedies
- Home remedies for sore throat may be found by using the following readily available items.
- Mango bark can be used as a gargle by mixing 125 ml of water with 10 ml of the fluid taken from the bark.
- The leaves from the Holy Basil provide another useful home remedy for sore throat. The leaves are boiled in water and used as a drink. When cooled this may also be used as a gargle.
- Garlic is a very popular home remedy for sore throat. Use four cloves of garlic along with 1 tbsp of honey, 1/8 tbsp cayenne and mix the contents together. A spoonful should be taken as deemed necessary. Chew it well before it is swallowed.
- Salt mixed in warm water provides another simple home remedy for sore throat. This can provide quick relief from the pain. It should be used as a gargle, a number of times until total relief is achieved.
- Chamomile blossoms also provide a good remedy. Use about one to two teaspoon of dried chamomile blossoms in about a pint of boiling water to make tea. Drink this every couple hours.
- A mixture of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey and cayenne pepper, is another remedy. The mixture is made using one teaspoon of the apple cider vinegar with a pinch of cayenne pepper, juice squeezed from the lemon, a teaspoon of honey and a cup of water. Stir it well and drink up to four cups daily.
- Another way treat a sore throat is to cut an onion and soak this in a cup with honey. Put a lid over the cup and after a few hours drink the honey. This will be quite soothing to the throat and provide relief for the sore feeling.
Another Simple remedy
It may be quite helpful to try a number of these remedies. There is a very simple remedy to sore throat which is mild, and that is, resting the throat. If for example the problem began by excessive abuse of the throat through singing and shouting, it is a good idea to abstain from such acts for a while. The undue pressure of the pharynx results in inflammation and should be rested to provide relief.