The Waveform audio format (WAV), also known as Audio for Windows, is a Microsoft and IBM audio file format standard for accumulating an audio bit stream on the PC. It is the primary format used on Windows systems for raw and typically uncompressed audio; it is the highest quality audio format although it takes up significant space when saved.
WAV has become unpopular with the emergence of internet file sharing resulting in the need to compress it to a condensed format as in the case of MP3 which was developed specifically for compressing files for easy sharing and quick downloads.
There are many tools available for converting WAV-files to MP3-files with most being widely available on the internet. WAV to MP3 converters include:
- CD-DA X-Tractor – WAV to MP3 Converter is free open source software.
- Softdiv MP3 to WAV Converter 3.0 is paid software with a limited trial period available for free.
- MP3 to WAVE Converter Plus – WAV to MP3 Converter is a shareware converter that provides easy navigation and also includes the latest Microsoft WMA technology. It is shareware and comes with a 10 audio-file trial period.
Things You Will Need
- PC with internet access
- WAV files
- Conversion software
- Disk space
- Download a WAV to MP3 converter and save the file in a specified folder.
- Unzip the zipped file or click on the EXE file to load the software on the computer.
- Choose the files to be converted and place them in a conversion list.
- Begin the conversion process in the software and follow the steps to convert the WAV files.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Ensure fles to be converted are not DRM protected.
For Related Articles On Converting WAV To MP3