Hailing from Buffalo New York, Buffalo wings recipes were developed in the early 1960’s and are a popular bar snack designed to be easy to eat. Whether fried or baked, Buffalo wings are the ultimate finger food. They are also very versatile in terms of taste and every bar or diner has their own recipe which they all deem as winners.
Super-hot Caribbean style Buffalo wings
- Large knife
- Sauce pan
- Oven rack with pan to catch the oil from the wings.
- 1 doz. whole chicken wings
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. white pepper
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 small hot pepper (choose a pepper of your liking)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 small can of diced pineapples
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsps. Vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup barbeque sauce
- Wash the chicken wings with vinegar and water and remove the wing tips with a large knife. Discard the tip or save them for making stock.
- Cut the wings without the tips at the joint, dividing it into two parts.
- Season the wings with your dry seasonings (salt, cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper, paprika, onion powder, hot pepper and garlic powder)
- Pre heat the oven to 350? C
- Place the wings on your rack with a pan underneath to catch the oils and bake for 30 -40 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove the thyme leaves and finely chop them along with your hot pepper, onions and garlic.
- If pineapples are not already diced, dice or chop them finely.
- Place your sauce pan on medium heat, allowing it to heat before adding the butter.
- Add the butter to the sauce pan.
- When your butter has melted, add the chopped seasonings (thyme, pineapples, onions and garlic) and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the ketchup, sugar, vinegar, water and barbeque sauce and let the sauce simmer until it is sufficiently reduced.
- Add the wings to the sauce, completely covering them then serve.
Substitutions to the recipe
- Instead of baking the wings, fry them. Buffalo wings are not traditionally fried in batter but a wet or dry batter may be made.
- Eliminate the peppers if you do not like spice.
- Replace sugar with honey for a healthier form of calories.
- To make the sauce more tangy add at least 1 more tablespoons of vinegar.
- If you are allergic to pineapples, choose another acidic fruit, it adds to the tanginess of the sauce. Citrus fruits or those rich in vitamin C are preferable.
- Make the sauce before the chicken is done. Reheat the sauce when serving the wings. Buffalo wings are best when served hot.
- For an even spicier wings recipe, use some of the seeds from the pepper. Be careful the seed are the hottest part.
Even though it was developed as the ultimate midnight snack/ bar food, Buffalo wings can be used as appetizer in almost any setting or at any party. For parties do not make the wings too spicy, remember the guests.