The pecan pie recipe is one of the many favorites for both Christmas and Thanksgiving. The pecan pie recipe requires three component steps: roasting the pecans, making the pie crust and making the pecan pie filling.
Step One: roasting the pecans
- Put two cups of pecans in the microwave for one minute.
- Remove them, turn them over with your hands a couple of times then put them back in the microwave for another minute.
- Remove them again and examine them if they are not done, move on to step 4.
- Get a cutting board and knife. Use the knife to cut each of the pecans in half.
Step Two: making the pie crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- In the microwave warm the butter until it is soft but do not allow it to melt out.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and sugar together.
- Then add the butter, shortening and ice water.
- After you have completely combined all the ingredients, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for approximately. (Or as long as it takes to make the filling for the pie)
Step Three: making the pecan pie filling
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups roasted pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 o F. While the oven is being preheated, put the butter in your microwave until it is completely melted.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, salt, melted butter and vanilla.
- Slightly beat the eggs until all the yolk is completely combined with the egg white.
- Add the mixed eggs into the batter and stir until the egg is completely mixed into the batter.
- Finishing the Pecan Pie Recipe
- Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator and roll it out until it is flat and smooth with no bumps. (The flattened dough should be approximately 1/8 inches thick)
- Apply more flour to the rolling pin, wrap the dough around the pin and then unroll the dough onto the pie pan.
- Cut the excess dough from around the pan so that it hangs approximately an inch over the edge of the pan.
- Going around the dough in the pie pan, pinch the edge so that it folds in half.
- Going around the dough in the pie pan again, pinch the folded part of the dough so that it forms a wave shape.
- Now pour the pie filling created in step 3 into the center of the pie pan.
- Use the roasted pecans made in step one to sprinkle on top of the pie filling. (Some of the pecans will sink into the filling)
- Put the pie in the oven and set it to 350o F for 1-1 hour & 10 minutes.