- 4 cups diced poached chicken
- 1 stalk celery (diced into ? -inch pieces)
- 4 scallions (trimmed and thinly sliced) OR ? cup sweet onion (diced into ?-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 & ? teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon or fresh dill
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons strained freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Black pepper
How to Make Poached Chicken
Ingredients for Poached Chicken
- 10 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 small onion (halved)
- 1 small carrot (halved)
- 1 stalk celery (halved)
- 3 pounds chicken breasts halves (with fat trimmed)
- 5 – 6 cups chicken broth
Directions for Poached Chicken
- In a medium saucepan, put the parsley, thyme, onion, carrot, celery, and chicken breasts.
- Cover all ingredients with the broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to as low as possible and cover the saucepan.
- Simmer (poach) the chicken for 20 minutes, or until it is firm to the touch.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, uncover it and cool the chicken in the liquid for 30 minutes.
- Put the chicken on a cutting board.
- Bone and skin the chicken ad cut it into 1 inch cubes. Dispose of the bones and skin.
This should yield up to 4 cups cubed chicken or 4-6 servings.
- Toss the chicken, celery, scallions and all herbs together in a mixing bowl and set it aside.
- Whisk the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add this mixture to the chicken and mix gently until all is combined. Refrigerate the salad until it is ready to be served.
Serve the salad on a bed of lettuce with sliced tomatoes. The more colors the better.
This type of chicken salad is ideal for sandwiches.
Chicken Salad Recipe Variations
There are a variety of chicken salads to make and the one you chose to make will be based on the occasion and people you are making it for. A few of these delicious chicken salads include those listed below:
- Curried Chicken Salad: this salad can also be used for sandwiches. It also includes apple, dried cranberries, walnuts and curry powder is added to spice up the salad.
- Grilled Chicken Salad: this salad contains chicken, tomatoes, hard-cooked eggs and Creole mustard vinaigrette.
- Chicken Salad with Pineapple: a delicious chicken salad with pineapples.
- Chicken Salad with White Beans: a chicken salad with chili powder and cumin in the dressing to deliver a spicy chicken salad.
- Chicken Salad with Walnuts and Grapes: this chicken salad is a delicious choice for a luncheon salad that can be served on lettuce leaves with sliced avocado. This chicken salad may also be used to fill sandwich rolls or pita bread.
- Guacamole Chicken Salad: a simple chicken salad with California walnuts and guacamole that makes a tasty lunch or easy diner.
- Mexican Chicken Salad: a tasty chicken salad that has the Mexican spicy touch.