What is a Toothache?
Toothache as the name suggests, is an ache that is felt in the tooth. Toothaches are generally as a result of tooth decay, tooth fracture, and gum disease. The discomfort associated with toothaches can range from mild to severe, dull to sharp, and from sporadic to persistent. The pain is unanticipated in most cases and is usually triggered off by hot or cold substances that have entered the mouth.
Factors that Contribute to Toothache
Tooth decay is as a result of faulty diets which involves sweets. After the bacteria in the mouth have broken down the remnants of the sweets into acid, it is then combined with the enamel’s calcium, which later causes decay.
A fractured tooth generally sends messages of trauma to the brain, thus the discomfort. The level of discomfort can be tested with the blade of the tongue. If the fractured tooth is left untreated it can lead to pulp degeneration.
There are in general two types of gum diseases; Gingivitis and Periodontitis. Periodontitis is as a result of untreated Gingivitis. These diseases cause the gum to become swollen, red and in most cases bloody. Gingivitis is usually associated with little or no pain, and it is treatable with professional help. On the other hand, Periodontitis can cause the bone and tissues that supports the tooth to become decomposed, this often results in the need for extraction.
If a tooth has not been treated properly it will most likely require extraction. If the affected tooth is not extracted, it may radiate and cause the gum to swell and become infected, which may further cause extended pain to the cheeks and ears.
Toothache Home Remedies
Toothache Home Remedies will offer temporary and sometimes permanent relief to individuals who are unable to obtain medical or pharmaceutical assistance.
- Lime: Eating a raw lime, along with its peel is said to be one of the toothache home remedies that offers great relief. This is due to its high vitamin C content.
- Onions: Onions are said to contain bactericidal properties. If an individual chews a raw onion for five minutes, it will kill all the germs in the mouth. The onion has a large amount sodium as well as vitamins B and B12, which has led it to become one of the most used toothache home remedies.
- Garlic: Not only is a clove of garlic able to relieve toothache, it may very well cure it, this is because garlic possess Allicin which is a very effective antibiotic. A crushed clove of garlic accompanied by a pinch of salt will do the trick.
- Clove oil: This is another remedy for toothache. Its antiseptic properties reduce infection and helps in the soothing of toothache.
How to Prevent Toothache
- Use dental floss daily.
- Brush teeth at least two per day.
- Avoid eating sweets.
- Visit your Dentist at least twice per year.