Crafts sewing projects can be a fun, economical hobby idea that anyone can pursue. Crafts sewing ideas are numerous and most of all, easy to learn. The first thing to do is to select a crafts sewing project, then gather the required materials and get started.
Crafts sewing project- Making a laptop bag
- A? yards of twill (main print)
- A? yards of twill (different print)
- 1 yard of muslin for the lining
- A? yard of cotton batting
- 3-22 inch nylon zippers
- 2 yards of 2 inch wide nylon webbing
- A walking or darning foot
- A zipper foot
Cutting out the fabric
- Cut two rectangles from the second piece of twill fabric (22 by 6 inches)
- Cut two rectangles from the main piece of twill (6 by22 inches)
- Cut two more rectangles from the second piece of twill (11 by 22 inches)
- Cut two more rectangles from the main piece of twill print (11 by 8 inches)
- Cut four rectangles from the piece of muslin. Two should measure 22 by 22 inches and the other two should measure 6 by 22 inches
Crafts sewing project- Sewing the bag
- Lay the 6 by 22 rectangular pieces of main twill and the corresponding pieces of muslin, right side up, together. Place the zipper between the material, right side towards the main print. Stitch the seam using the zipper foot and do so near to the zipper’s teeth.
- Place the material right side outwards and ensure that the zipper can slide easily.
- Put the 11 by 22 inch piece of second print material and the corresponding piece of muslin together, right sides together. Affix the other side of the zipper between the right side facing the fabric. Stitch the seam near the zipper’s teeth.
- Unfold the material right side out and ensure that the zipper slides easily.
- Cut 2 inch squares out of the bottom corners of each zippered rectangle
- Cut 2 22 inch pieces of webbing (handles)
- Pin the webbing straps in place. Sew along both sides of the second print stopping at the zipper
- Place the batting between the muslin lining and the second print fabric and pin in place.
- Quilt diagonal lines in the fabric to form diamonds. Cut 2 inch squares out of the bottom corners.
- Fold under an inch on the bottom three sides of the pockets, 11 by 18 inch of main print and stitch
- Pin the pockets onto the second print of the quilted lining and stitch in place
- Line up the quilted lining with the zippered outer section, right sides together. Slip the zipper between the right side facing the outer portion and stitch the seam near the zipper’s teeth. Open and repeat for the other side.
- Fold the corners and stitch the bottom of the bag
- Tuck the lining inside and stitch it closed
- Line up the seams of the lining and outer layers and stitch.
The crafts sewing project is done!