There are many different kinds of ants that can live in the same surroundings as people. They invade the home and swarm our food as well as cause significant damage to household items. Some ants can even be hazardous to health because they give irritating and infectious bites. For these reasons it is important that they be eliminated as soon as their invasion of the home or any other habitable environment is noticed. There are a number of methods that could be tried in the attempt to get rid of ants. This is dependent on the user’s preference for natural or chemical based solutions.
Small container, gloves, nose mask, pot, shovel, broom
- Red Chili Powder/ Paprika/dried peppermint
- Boric Acid
- Corn syrup or honey
- Chemical Ants Powder
Before the process of ant elimination begins you may first need to think about why they are entering your premises and get rid of any discarded food, water or housing that they use to survive.
Natural methods used to get rid of ants:
- Put on gloves then pour the red chili pepper powder, paprika or dried peppermint into the container. Then sprinkle the contents in the cracks or holes where the ants have taken up.
- Paint or spray plants or trees with sticky barriers made of tangle foot substance. This will inhibit them from climbing the stems of these plants to eat.
- You can also make liquid bait by mixing 1/8 teaspoon boric acid and 1 tablespoon of honey or corn syrup. Allow the mixture to heat until the boric acid disappears. Drop small amounts of solution in the places where the ants frequent for two weeks.
- Use the pot to boil about three gallons of water for each ant mound. Pour the boiled water into the cracks where the ants are located to drown them out.
- If you prefer the use of chemicals then you may purchase Chemical ants powder/products for the different types of ants that affect you. Put on the nose mask and gloves then sprinkle this in the corners, cracks, holes and elsewhere. Once the ants come into contact with this they will be killed. Leave the chemical in place for about two days to a week to totally eliminate them.
- After the ants have died use a small shovel and broom to sweep up the chemical and the ant remains.
- Use bleach or other disinfectants to wipe the area and free of chemicals.
Tips and Warning
Ensure that you use a nose mask when using chemical repellants for the ants because they may be harmful if inhaled. Also ensure that you wear gloves so as to avoid any contact with the skin which may cause a reaction. The natural methods may be time consuming and you may be apprehensive about using chemicals yourself; in that case you may want to call in the professionals. You may request less harmful chemical repellents.
Related Articles on How to Get Rid of Ants
- How to Get Rid of Ants
- How to Get Rid of Carpenter Ants
- Get Rid of Ants
- Ways to Get Rid of Ants
- Homemade Ant Killer
- How to Get Rid of Ants