Shepherds pie is the ultimate feel good meal. With an array of meat, potatoes, cheese, vegetables and a variety of spices it would seem like everything but the kitchen sink type of meal but it is actually quite delicious and can be dressed up to appear more contemporary and not so down home. A good shepherds pie recipe is however one that sticks to the traditional ingredients.
- 1 Casserole dish
- 1 Pot for boiling potatoes
- 1 Frying pan for cooking minced meat
- 1 Bowl
- 6 oz. Cheddar cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- Olive oil
- 2 medium sized Carrots
- 1 can of Green peas (8.5 oz.)
- 1 can of Corn (8.5 oz.)
- 2 lbs. Minced meat
- 3 sprigs of Thyme
- 1 large sweet pepper
- 1 large white Onion
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- 4 large Potatoes
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- Half a pot with water and add 1 tsp. salt and bring it to a boil. While waiting on the water to boil, peel the potatoes and cut them into 4 quarters each.
- When the water comes to a boil add the potatoes and thyme to the pot and let boil until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Place the minced beef into a bowl; add 1 tsp. salt, black pepper.
- Dice the carrots, onions and sweet pepper and finely chop your garlic.
- Place the sauce pan on the stove to heat. When heated place a small amount of olive oil into the pan (just enough to form a film in the pan) and add the chopped seasonings.
- When the onions become translucent add the minced beef and cover for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes add Worcestershire sauce to your liking (until it is dark enough for your taste, usually I add 4 tsp.) and continue cooking for another 5 minutes uncovered before removing from the heat. Do not allow the minced beef to dry out as you still want a bit of sauce in the pan.
- When the beef is done add the corn and green peas (draining their brine first) to the mixture.
- When the potatoes are finished, drain the water from the pot, remove the thyme and mash them and leave them in the pot so that they don’t cool down too much.
- Grate the cheese.
- In the casserole dish place as a bottom layer a thin 1/2 inch layer of mashed potatoes. Sprinkle some cheese on top then spread a layer of minced beef. Place another layer of potatoes and cheese on top of the minced beef and slip into a 350?F preheated oven for 5 minutes or until the pie starts to brown on top. Depending on the size of the casserole dish there will be enough for two pies.
This is an easy to make shepherds pie recipe and additions or substitutions may be made to your liking. Butter may be used instead of olive oil, you may mash the potatoes with butter for a creamier flavor or you may want to add other vegetables such as celery.