Pumpkin is seen as the hallmark of Halloween but that is not all there is to a pumpkin. Pumpkins are loaded with healthy minerals that the body needs. They are rich in beta-carotene, potassium, fiber and others. Pumpkin can be cooked and eaten as is or it can be used to make drinks, pies and soups. Pumpkin can also be transformed into healthy snacks such as pumpkin cookies.
Following the directions below and with the right ingredients, you will be baking pumpkin cookies in no time.
- 2 Mesh strainers
- Wooden spoon for mixing
- 1 medium-sized pumpkin
- Baking sheets
- 2 Bowls
- Large mixing bowl
- cup butter at room temperature
- cup granulated sugar
- cup (firmly packed) light brown sugar
- cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- teaspoon nutmeg
- cup milk
- The first thing to do is to make the pumpkin puree. Take your knife and cut the pumpkin in half in a crosswise direction.
- Remove the seeds and all the membranes from the pumpkin.
- Place the cut side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake at 325? for one hour or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Remove from the oven and cool for ten minutes.
- Use a spoon to scrape the pulp of the pumpkin and place it in a blender.
- Make sure the blender is plugged in. Cover and press the puree button and puree the pulp until it is smooth.
- Place a strainer on a bowl to drain until the dripping has stopped.
Now that you have made your pumpkin puree here are directions on how to make pumpkin cookies:
Cream the butter and sugars together in a large mixing bowl until it becomes light and fluffy.
Beat in the molasses and the egg into the mixture.
Measure one cup of the pumpkin puree and stir in the mixture.
Get another bowl and a strainer and sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Stir the flour mixture into the cream mixture and add milk. Blend well but do not overbeat.
Take tablespoon and drop spoonfuls of the prepared mixture onto greased baking sheet.
Place in oven and bake for about 12 minutes at 325?.
16. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
Sift confectioners? sugar and use it to dust cookies.
This recipe makes about three dozen cookies.
Pumpkin cookies are a great way to snack healthily. Many people are used to making chocolate chip cookies but forget those for a while. Pumpkin cookies are much more nutritious and just as tasty. Nuts or raisins may be added or icing may be used to personalize them as desired.