Sugar cookies have traditionally been a favorite in the Christmas season but it has become an all year round treat lately. The sugar cookies recipe yields sugar cookies that are tender and sweet with crisp edges. The finished cookies can be sprinkled with either colored sugar or icing. You can also add interesting flavors to the sugar cookies recipe, such as lemon, almond or vanilla. Any of these flavors will make your sugar cookies pop with delicious taste and flavor. Sugar cookies can be made as regular cookies or you can use favorite cookie cutters to make them suit any occasion and various decorations to add difference and interesting appearance to your batch of cookies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- A? teaspoon baking powder
- A? teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together in a bowl and set it aside.
- In a large bowl for an electric mixer, combine the sugar and butter and beat them until it is light in color. Then add milk and egg to help in combining this mixture.
- Gradually add the flour to this mixture while the mixer is on low. Beat this until the mixture moves away from the side of the bowl.
- Divide the mixture in half and wrap them in waxed paper to refrigerate for two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the surface that will be used to roll out the dough on by sprinkling it with powdered sugar to prevent the dough from sticking to the surface.
- Remove the wrapped dough from the refrigerator one pack at a time. Use a rolling pin that you should also have sprinkled with powdered sugar and roll out the cookie dough to 1/8th of an inch thick.
- Ensure that you move the dough around and frequently check under it to make sure it is not sticking to the surface of your work area. If the dough should get warm, place a cold cookie sheet on top for 10 minutes to chill it.
- Cut the dough into desired shapes and put them at least an inch apart on a greased silicone baking mat, baking sheet or parchment.
- Bake the cookies for seven to nine minutes or until the cookies start to turn brown around the edges.
- Let the finished cookies stay on the baking sheet for two minutes after taking them from the oven. After this, place them on a wire rack complete cooling.
- Apply icing or colored sugar if desired or serve without icing.